Friday, January 2, 2009

Book Challenge

I hated reading when I was in elementary school! In the third grade my teacher was Ms. Russell and we had to do a book report. I waited until the last minute to read my chapter book, my dad was really mad at me for it. He found a book for me and told me I couldn't come out of my room until I read half the book. I piddled around my room pouting for a while, and then I picked up the book and finally got on with it. Later that evening dad came in to check on me and see if I wanted to take a break for dinner. I didn't want to put my book down, I refused to eat dinner that night and finished my book at around midnight. I was hooked. After that struggle it was never a problem for me to grab at a bit of fiction and escape. My parents signed me up for the Baby Sitters Club book club and I read every single one. Reading got me through a lot of the tough times in my child hood, and I've let leisure reading take a backseat to other things in life. This year I want to make it more of a priority. I want to read 50 books this year. I'm not going to say that it will be one a week, it may be one a month until summer, and I guess it depends on what it is I am reading.
If you don't know about Paper Back Swap you should really check (me) it out. Basically you share your used books with the world, and you get some in return. I tried a couple of other book swapping sights and this one really is the best. Most of the books I read this year will end up there, but not the first one. Currently I'm reading A Devil to Play by Jasper Rees....its about his attempt at mastering the french horn in a year. I am also learning to play the horn, so I'm reading it for inspiration.

What are you currently reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment