Sunday, January 4, 2009

Stash down 2009

We knitters have this thing called stash. Its sort of a living thing, always changing, growing, and eating up our yarn allowance. Husbands and stashes are often in conflict. My stash is ample, but not near what other knitters have collected. I'd like to get it under control now, and not just have yarn laying around for years and years that I never get to use. There is a limit on how much you can knit, and how much you can buy, so I will be knitting from my stash until it is devoid of sock yarn.
DSC01840
On ravelry there is a Stash Down group, challenging its members to do things like knit 52 items (socks maybe) in 52 weeks and other such similar concepts.
I decided to take on socks because for some reason I have lots and lots of sock yarn, and I like knitting socks, so it works.
I have separated my sock yarn into paper bags that are stapled shut. They are numbered 1 - 12 and each month I will choose a bag and knit from it. Some people that are participating have already picked their patterns and included it in their bags, but I'm going to pick my patterns as I go.
DSC01841
This month I needed to finish a pattern that I have had on the needles for over 6 months I'm going to estimate. I am determined to finish them tonight before I have my wisdom teeth out tomorrow morning. I don't really know why I left these socks undone for so long. It might be the yarn, I'm using Tofutsies and its a really "splitty" yarn. I really like the colorways, and I know other people like it a lot, I really wasn't a fan at first. It has gotten better to knit with as the project progressed, but how it wears will determine if I buy this yarn again.
DSC01843
The pattern I'm using is the famous "Monkey" its the most popular sock pattern on ravelry. I've enjoyed knitting it, but I'm ready for it to be over. I feel that way about all pattern by the end of a project.
Every Lace pattern I have ever used claims to be "easy to memorize" I can never memorize them, but that might just be me. I also used the magic loop method, and got really bad ladders coming from the back of the sock to the front but not on the other side, so I knit the first stitch of every row instead of purling. Well I'm going back to my sock.... happy knitting.
DSC01842

2 comments:

  1. Good luck! I think that's a great way to 'stash down'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your socks look great, keep up the good work! I hope all goes well tomorrow I had that done about 6 months ago so I feel for you, get lots of rest!

    ReplyDelete